Friday, December 4, 2020

Random Encounters 2

 So, establishing I like random encounters... How do I do them.

I went about consulting many encounter rules across different editions and blogs.  I once had a goal of including all the SRD creatures in their proper terrains with wieghted chance of encoutner by HD and exoticism.  Because who doesn't love "systems".

In the end I ended up with a 2 tier system.  A detailed one for when hexploration is the crux of play, and one quick and dirty setup for dungeon centric play.

The Hexploration model has more steps and complexity with the goal of being able to inject more variety into play. First I split the days into 4 hour chunks starting at Midnight.  Each terrain type has a different chance in 20 for an encounter, allowing me to roll on a d20.  

  • Plains: 1-2
  • Wooded: 1-4
  • Hills: 1-2
  • Mountains: 1
  • Marsh: 1-4
  • Desert: 1
  • Water:1 

Next there is a d12 roll for what sort of encounter.  This can be modified by +2 for each Hex from civilization/-2 if the area is patrolled/controlled.  The idea being, the further off the beaten path, the odder the encounter.  These categories are designed to help inform the ecology of a given hex or area.  There are 6 examples, so that one can roll for an outcome if inspiration is wanting.

  • 1-5: Mundane (Critters, Travelers, Patrol/Toll, Grove/Spring, Corpse/Spoor, Camp)
  • 6-8: Hazard (Impediment, Barrier, Pests, Disease, Trap, Mold/Ooze)
  • 9-10: Monster/Beast (Beast, Goblinoid, Bestial/Orc, Giant/Ogre, Fey/Plant, Exotic)
  • 12: Phenomena/Special (Lair/Cave, Magical Zone, Storm/Fire/Quake, Shrine/Ruins, Powerful Monster, NPCs)

As a supplement to the above, I have a quick chart of general creature/hazard types for each terrain type (and types of humanoids) if I feel I need even more inspiration/detail.  The charts are numbered for die rolls, but I will often use them more to have a quick scan and remind me of oddball options.

If needed a d4 can be added to the mix to determine the exact hour in the chunk an encounter occurs.

In a dungeon or quick travel scenario, where terrain changes are not likely to come up I have truncated it to a simple 1 in 6 roll per trip/day or 1 in 6 per 4 hours if they are resting in hostile territory.  As for the type of encounter, that is usually based on the area.  If it is in and around a set dungeon, it will be based on the types of hazards in said dungeon.  this can quickly be jotted down based on the content of the module.  I like to follow the same general spread of 1/3 each Mundane, Annoying, Threatening types of encounters.

For each of these systems, even though they are described as being "steps" of rolls, I typically roll all the dice types in one go.  A previous version of this system had more tables to justify rolling one of each type to determine the encounter.  While there was a certain charm to that, it was too much to parse in one roll.


No comments:

Post a Comment